Build All Buttons

This forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by K-Rise Systems and, as such, K-Rise Systems cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
CathyC

Build All Buttons

Unread post by CathyC »

There was a reason to build all the method canvases across one of my apps. I realized that the following screens have a build all button
  • methods
  • pages/widgets
  • workflows
but there is not a build all button for:
  • APIs
  • batch jobs
This means we had to manually click into the apis in each verb and into each batch job and click the build button in the header of the canvas.

1. Can we get a button on the API and Batch Job screens to build all?
  2. When clicking the build all button, it isnt obvious the button is being clicked. can there be a window that says something explaining how the will be built? like "each source will be built the next time it is used on the application" or "each source will be built in the background and is starting now. This may take a few minutes"
  3. When Clicking the build button on a canvas, can there be a progress animation or a window that says it worked? whichever its actually doing. if it builds right then, then a progress animation is enough. if it builds the next time someone loads it, it could say that. Currently its hard to tell that it was actually clicked though.
word count: 205

Tags:
SteveCap

Re: Build All Buttons

Unread post by SteveCap »

The build all buttons all do the same thing. They all clear the build data for all processes. Meaning when on the methods page it will clear for pages, workflows, apis, and batchjobs. This just clears build data it does not actually build yet. It will build the next time that processes is needed.

Task #10473 will add the button to apis and batchjob page.

The build button on the canvas will build right then and there.
Task #10474 will add a spinner
word count: 83
CathyC

Unread post by CathyC »

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification. I dont think thats very intuitive that it clears absolutely everything in the application of build data. I was even given instruction from another member of the internal team that it would only clear the type of source for the page it was on, so it was necessary to click all the buttons. We could probably do something to make that better for the user. I was talking with other developers on this on what would be the most intuitive.

So, #1 we need to change those build all buttons to be more intuitive
Here are some options, but it should be a discussion to decide what is best:
  1. leave it as is, but when you click the button to build all, it should have a message saying "this will clear build data for the entire application and will be generated the next time the source is in use. This may increase load times on the application for end users"
  2. Change each button to "Build all Methods" and "Build All Pages/Widgets" and have each button only affect that type of source. Then it should have a similar message to let the user know that it only clears the build data.
  3. Rename the button to "Clear All Build Data". This removes the need for having a pop up message explaining what it does because the button text accurately tells you.
I like the 3rd option, but I'd like to hear other input so we make the right decision here

Then #2 since the button on the canvas is actually building it, I think that should have its tooltip text changed to "Build Now"
word count: 281
CathyC

Unread post by CathyC »

I talked with Justin on this. the build all button was changed. it is now at the bottom of developer workbench and gives a message after clicked that objects will be built on demand. it was removed from the webpages and methods page and each source has a build button on its canvas
So this is resolved
word count: 57