Translation File Needs Where it Appeared

This forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by K-Rise Systems and, as such, K-Rise Systems cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
CathyC

Translation File Needs Where it Appeared

Unread post by CathyC »

I have an application that went through translations last year for their first language translation. It has since gone through 2 other languages.
On the next one, they received feedback from the business that the translation file is not easy to complete.

The IT dept downloads the translation file and gives it to someone who will be able to translate all text on the site. This person will be for the new market that has not seen the portal yet and would not know all of the pages. So rare text that appears on the portal, but still needs to be translated will not be known by this person.

Or, since it is a large application with hundreds of records for translation, they might try and outsource this to a translation company. The problem is the same where the translation company has never seen the portal and they don't know what context it appears in.

In some languages, depending on the context the translation will be different, so the context needs to be given. An example is "Default" which is just one general meaning in English but would be translated differently in Norwegian. Like how in Spanish "en" means both "in" and "on" in English.

Suggestion: When a record is written to the translation file, can a record of the page it was on be added as well? This would add some context which can be used to pinpoint where we should be looking.

Note: This was requested by a customer. If this doesn't become a feature, they have plans to do this manually which is more work and has other drawbacks
Last edited by CathyC on April 26th, 2023, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 274

Tags:
CathyC

Re: Translation File Needs Where it Appeared

Unread post by CathyC »

I realized this was related to a previous forum post I created during the first language translation we did. So there may be a task created for a similar request
viewtopic.php?p=1142
word count: 34