Discourage In-Line Styling

This forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by K-Rise Systems and, as such, K-Rise Systems cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
JefferyD

Discourage In-Line Styling

Unread post by JefferyD »

When working with look and feel, it is all too easy to apply styling directly to a control. It can just be entered directly in the style attribute text box or the static section of the attribute editor.

While this is convenient, this is very bad practice as it cannot be overridden with CSS selectors. This means that it forces any further changes to require checking out sources and going through controls one by one to update them.
image.png
Suggestion
Keep control class attributes as they are, but force the developer to take more steps to apply in-line styling. Perhaps make it so that the style editor specifically has to be used, or have a pop-up confirmation message every time notifying the developer that they should use CSS classes over in-line styling. Anything to prevent the developer from copying style strings and just pasting them into control attribute after control attribute.

I can see the value in at least having the option, but it should be used only when needed and not just for convenience. So I feel that making it more inconvenient would dissuade the bad practice without taking it away for the times it's needed.
word count: 200

Tags:
CathyC

Re: Discourage In-Line Styling

Unread post by CathyC »

task 11430 was created to track the discussion for this feature suggestion
word count: 12