Working with Projects and Tasks

This forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by K-Rise Systems and, as such, K-Rise Systems cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
CathyC

Working with Projects and Tasks

Unread post by CathyC »

I often have this issue where I have many projects going on at the same time.
I know I can put multiple tasks under a project. I haven't had a use for this yet, but I imagine it is if there are 2 issues raised during uat:

Issue 1: the link in the footer of the email is not navigating to the right place
Issue 2: the email is missing an attachment

Then, if both of these issues come in at the same time, the developer can open both tasks and create one project which is for both:

Project: Email Changes

I haven't encountered this yet.

It is more like one of these scenarios:
  • issue 1 is opened and while we're working on it, issue 2 is opened. So issue 1 must be finished first, then a new project is opened for issue 2. This is done so there is no dependency
  • issue 1 is opened. the project is named "Issue 1: Email Footer Fix". Then issue 2 is raised. I see the source is already checked out for the issue 1 project. I just make my changes there, but looking at the project, only I could know I have done this. I record it in both issues though "NOTE: this issue is coupled with Issue 1. Issue 1 and Issue 2 must go to PD together".
In the above 2nd scenario, if the developer does not keep good notes, it is easy to lose that the project contains changes for 2 tasks/issues.

I think some improvements to working with projects and tasks is needed. Here are some suggestions:
  • ability to easily rename project. In the above scenario, when issue 2 is created, I can rename the project from "Issue 1: Email Footer Fix" to "Email Changes" and link the other task to it
  • Ability to note dependency between 2 projects. Lets say Issue 1 is that all emails sent need their footer fixed. Suppose there are 6 emails. Issue 1 now has 6 sources in its project. Now suppose issue 2 is a bug that saving a file is not working. This affects 1 email and 2 webpages. So Issue 2 now has 3 sources. At this point, it makes sense that they both have their own project. I should be able to note that the email source is under 2 projects and note somewhere that these projects are dependent on each other and must move the promotion path together.
attached is what my projects look like. some are spanning many months, so it makes these scenarios more frequent
Attachments
Dev Workbench projects.PNG
word count: 434

Tags:
CathyC

Re: Working with Projects and Tasks

Unread post by CathyC »

I talked with the internal team on this. There is a way to rename an existing project which I wasn't aware of
Dev Workbench Project Status Page.png
I think a change will be made to make the edit link accessible from the dev workbench when a project is selected to make this easier
word count: 49
SumanPrasad

Unread post by SumanPrasad »

We will put a link on the top in developer workbench to 'Edit' project.
While promoting, we will show description so that you can use that as your note to warn if there are other dependency on this project.
Task 10322 is created for this.
word count: 45
CathyC

Unread post by CathyC »

Task 10322 was completed and this feature is offered now:
image.png
image.png
Though I have an additional request. This does make it easier, but now In the case where I have 2 projects and they have a dependency, I have to follow these steps which are not intuitive:
  1. go to issue 2 and move the sources over to issue 1's project by clicking the red text of who has it assigned and changing the project. (the project must be in DV for this option)
  2. Delete the project for Issue 2
  3. Open the project for issue 1
  4. Add another task to issue 1's project through the edit project link at the top of the developer workbench
  5. Edit the description and name of issue 1's project so it is clear it is for both issue 1 and issue 2
More often than not, we are not doing the full steps. most of the time, we get to only the 2nd step. Or sometimes we get to step 4, but never as far as step 5.

Feature Suggestion: Can we have a button or something to "Combine with another project" which does most of these steps for us?
word count: 196
SteveCap

Unread post by SteveCap »

Task 11422 has been made to implement this feature.
word count: 9