Connector App explanation

This forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by K-Rise Systems and, as such, K-Rise Systems cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
CathyC

Connector App explanation

Unread post by CathyC »

in writing the documentation, we need to explain the connector app.

Here is what I wrote:
In the Distributor Portal, an important tool is the ability to query JDE. For this functionality, a connection needs to be set up in the Connector App. The Connector App, like the Security App, is a pre-built Platform Application within the IDE that serves all the rest of the applications created.

The Connector App’s main use is the “Connection Manager” page. It is considered an app because applications, behind-the-scenes, have their own table schema. By having its own schema, it is allowed to be separate from any one application. Connections will not belong just to the Developer Portal or to the Vendor On-Boarding App. They stand apart, as part of the tools that serve the platform.
But then in reviewing it, I had these questions:
Is this right? From the user's perspective, how is it any different than a page in the IDE? - the developer workbench is available to all apps and editable by none, so that would fall into the same category, right? Though I guess that technically is its own app - the IDE app? Why cant the connector app and security app things be part of the IDE app then?

I talked about it with Jeff and showed my understanding:

I can login to the helloworld app and go to the connection manager page. then if I add a new record, it will be seen from his screen in the connector application (or any other application)
image.png
image.png
before this, he thought the connection manager was an override and was not aware that making changes to it in one app would make changes in all apps.
Joe had this understanding too because on one client I changed it in one app and he changed it in another and we kept breaking each other's apps without knowing it.

The only way I was able to make it make sense that the connection manager affects all apps was because I thought of it as:
Connection Manager Page = Connector App.
They are basically the same. And I know the connector app exists outside of any one app, so that helped with that concept that changing in one changes in all.
But no one else had this understanding. So without that, I can't find a reason for the connector app.

another thing that makes it confusing is this option when creating or editing an app
image.png
I think everyone is just very confused and a full explanation from the internal team is needed.

So, I have a few requests:
  • Can someone explain what the function of the connector app is? Please include how the connector manager page fits into this.
  • Can changes be made to the page connection manager so it is made more obvious that you are affecting all applications (are you always?), regardless of which app you are in?
word count: 490

Tags: