Alerts Email Environment

This forum allows users to post and respond to "How Do I Do ....." questions. The information contained in this forum has not been validated by K-Rise Systems and, as such, K-Rise Systems cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.
Filip.Serw

Alerts Email Environment

Unread post by Filip.Serw »

When an Alert is triggered, the email that is sent out should have the environment from which it is sent from included. Currently there is no identifying way in the email to know which environment triggered the alarm.

This is one we forced to happen in QA, but otherwise would not have known.
AlarmEmail.png
word count: 53

Tags:
SteveCap

Re: Alerts Email Environment

Unread post by SteveCap »

Task #10980 has been created to add this in.
word count: 9
CathyC

Unread post by CathyC »

I wanted to give some examples of how other companies or emails are handled that give all the info, so I searched some similar email alert systems

Current EASYProcess Monitor Email
Subject:
EASYProcess Alarm - Type: ECC - Active: False Tenant: [Tenant] Application: Connector
Email Body:
EASYProcess Alarm - Type: ECC - Active: False

Tenant: [Tenant Name]

Application: Connector

Alarm is no longer active. Activity is back to normal.
Here I think we are using subject line space to show a description of what the info is, but we could probably do away with that as long as its organized in a way that makes sense. And as long as the email body says the same info. The subject shouldnt have any info the body doesnt have

EASYCommerce Import Failure Emails
This is the least formal, with just the bare minimum info
I have some error emails on other installs and follow this form which has worked well:
[thing that is wrong] [tenant] [application] [environment]
So in practice it would be:
Import Failure Base EASYCommerce PD

Then inside the email it would have all the same information and more:
An error occured in,

Customer: Base

Environment: PD

Batch Job: ImportItems

Batch Run Id: BRUN-10409918

Service: GetJDEQuery

Time of Error: 22/11/2022 1:03:44 PM

Batch job logs have been attached. The error at the bottom should provide more details.
If a connection issue has occurred, check connection status and then restart the batch job.
For any other errors please contact krise support.
But the alerts are a little different because it won't always just alert of something that is wrong. It will also alert of things that are okay after being in alert status.

AWS Alarms
Looking to the AWS alert emails, they have this form:
[OK/ALARM]: [Alarm Name] in [Location]
Then inside the email it has:
[paragraph explaining why receiving this email]
[link to the alarm details in AWS]

Alarm Details:
- Name: [Name]
- Description: Status checks have failed, generating ticket.
- State Change: ALARM -> OK
- Reason for State Change: Threshold Crossed: 1 out of the last 5 datapoints [0.0 (21/11/22 18:51:00)] was not greater than the threshold (0.0) (minimum 1 datapoint for ALARM -> OK transition).
- Timestamp: Monday 21 November, 2022 18:52:56 UTC
- AWS Account: [account number]
- Alarm Arn:

Threshold:
- The alarm is in the ALARM state when the metric is GreaterThanThreshold 0.0 for at least 5 of the last 5 period(s) of 60 seconds.

Monitored Metric:
- MetricNamespace: AWS/EC2
- MetricName: StatusCheckFailed_Instance
- Dimensions: [InstanceId = ]
- Period: 60 seconds
- Statistic: Minimum
- Unit: Count

State Change Actions:
- OK:
- ALARM:
- INSUFFICIENT_DATA:

--
If you wish to stop receiving notifications from this topic, please click or visit the link below to unsubscribe:
[link to unsubscribe]

Please do not reply directly to this email. If you have any questions or comments regarding this email, please contact us at [link to contact aws]
These are more professional because they give the paragraph explaining why its being received, lots of info, and the links that can be clicked to interact with the alarm.

Uptime Robot
Another monitoring system I am aware of is uptimeRobot, which has the form:
Monitor is [UP/DOWN]: [Monitor Name]
Inside the email it has:
Monitor Name:
Checked url:
Root Cause:
Incident Started at:
with buttons to view the incident and a link to change alert preferences (unsubscribe)

This is a good example of a professional email that has minimal data. We don't have a lot of data about the EASYProcess alerts, but more than is given here.
word count: 596
CathyC

Unread post by CathyC »

Can we do this instead?

Subject Line:
[ALARM/OK]: [Type] [Tenant] [Application] [Environment]
So it would be:
ALARM: ECC Product Connector PD
OK: ECC Product Connector PD

Email Body:
You are receiving this email because the EASYProcess Alarm has been triggered and reached the [ALARM/OK] state.

Alarm Details:

Type: ECC
State: [ALARM/OK]
Tenant: Product
Application: Connector
Environment: PD
Date Time: [date time stamp]
Description: [Alarm is no longer active. Activity is back to Normal/No message received from ECC for application : 21000487 (Connector Application : 21000487). Timeout: 90000 ms]

Click the link below to view the alarm or change alarm preferences
[Link]

If you need assistance, please contact support at support@krisesystems.com
This has some improvements:
  • We are not wasting subject line space by showing the descriptions
  • The status (OK or ALARM) is right at the beginning, so it wont be lost depending on where the user views the email. For example, if I get an alert on my smart watch, I only have a short space to see the email subject before I decide, "is this important and I should go to my computer to resolve?"
  • All the information in the subject line is included in the email body
  • A readable sentence is at the top for the user to read and get an idea of what this email means.
  • A link at the bottom to make addressing this issue easier. Otherwise the user would have to read the email, then go to a bookmark to find the url that brings them to the IDE
  • A line that gives the krise support email in case someone gets this email and is really lost, they have some place to ask for help
word count: 284
JustinVanRegenmorter

Unread post by JustinVanRegenmorter »

This change has been implemented as of RunTime Revision 1143.
word count: 10